I love jackfruit! The sweet, succulent, and aromatic fruit is just soooo yummy, whether eaten fresh or candied. Back at my parents’ home, I remember growing up with these fruits because we have several of these fruit trees in our backyard.
But while I enjoyed eating them, I did not really about its health benefits…well not until today. I read this in a Facebook article and I am sharing the important parts here. I do not really know who originally wrote the article, but I am just happy that one of my favorite tropical fruits is actually very healthy.
1. It strengthens the immune system because jackfruit is a rich source of vitamin C.
2. It is rich in antioxidants like lignans, isoflavones and saponins, so it protect the body against cancer.
3. Jackfruit aids in digestion and contains anti-ulcer properties that help cure ulcers and digestive disorders.
4. It is rich in Vitamin A that is good for the eyes and skin.
5. The sweetness in jackfruit comes from its high fructose and sucrose content that gives the body ample energy.
6. Jackfruit has high potassium content that is supposed to help lower blood pressure.
8. Jackfruit is also rich in magnesium, iron, copper, and microminerals.
Woohoo! How cool is that! Jackfruit–you’re the fruit!
But I have one problem with the jackfruit though. While it smells so good (I know, the aromatic smell is subjective) when ripe, I don’t like how its smell affects my pee. As in my urine smells so bad after eating jackfruit and it permeates the whole toilet! Well, it does pass but you just have to endure it because despite spraying the toilet with air freshener, the smell seems to linger. But well, if jackfruit is good for the health, then for sure I will keep on eating it. hehe